Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Bins Have Bins

Storage solutions.  I think that's got to be the most popular phrase in interior design.  Lord mercy!

I abhor, despise, hate, CLUTTER.  I have yet to win the battle completely.  But I'm getting there.

And places like Ikea, Target and Walmart have some sweet, AFFORDABLE ideas and solutions.  Several years ago, another interior designer friend introduced me to shelving and baskets as a storage solution.  It was and IS one of the most clever solutions I've ever used.

When folks come over, they always comment on the shelving/basket system I have going on.   So I got to thinking of how I could incorporate that same idea with my new condo.  Another interior designer friend introduced me to Uline, http://www.uline.com/.

Then I found out about these cool bins Target carries and grabbed every red one I could find.  I needed more and a high school friend got in touch on Facebook and hooked me up.

Here's how it turned out:


So it was open shelving for the stereo.  The designer suggested closed shelving for the tv area:


I went for black shelving from Ikea.  I was looking for red but I had to be careful.  Too much red can be overwhelming.  Too much black can look too heavy.  I had to balance it just right.

I decided the "heavy" stuff would need to be "breakable" black.  That means the shelving would be black but I could break it up with red and white.

White was very important too.  Solid red, solid black and solid white with no pattern would look way too bland and heavy and manufactured.

Breaking up black or even red would help keep the rooms light and airy.  Think of it like the sky.  Just a bright blue sky is pretty, but it's monotonous.  Once you pop in some fluffy white clouds with varied shapes and texture . . . VOILA!  Beautiful sky.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment