Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Grown-Up Bedroom

I'm the "Friends" generation.  I loved Monica Gellar's eclectic pad.  That was my look for the longest time.  

Eclectic is just a fancy word for, "I can't commit to a style I like so I'm just putting in a hodge podge of crap I like whether it totally matches or not."

I look back at reruns of "Friends"  now and think, for Monica's character to be so anal about things being clean, that is one junky cluttered looking space.  

My bedroom was no exception.  I did always keep the rule to NEVER have a tv in the bedroom.  Something about the zen or balance or whatever.  

I just think it's tacky.  I don't want to ever end up 'living' in my bedroom.

Otherwise it was a pretty random mess.  Hand-me-down rickety end tables with chipping paint and overstuffed drawers in 1970's boring brown.  Hand-me-down dresser I was gratefully able to hide in the closet.  Hand-me-down bed and mattress that I am too embarrassed to admit the age.

At one point I was going for gold and angels.  Shut up.  It looked so much better in my head.  

It never quite panned out the way I wanted.  The comforter was like some gold thing I found at TJ Maxx.  The sheets didn't match the flat sheet.  The flat sheet didn't match the pillow cases.  The pillow cases didn't match each other.

I had angel paintings, wall decor, knick knacks up here and there.  But no one got it because they were too diminutive compared to the size of the room.  

It was a mess that even Monica Gellar would have frowned at.  

I had an idea to continue the red/black/white theme.  Voila!  (details later):


No comments:

Post a Comment