Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Homework!

Back in the day,  the school library carried all these magazines.  I really wanted to peruse through "Vogue" and "Bazaar".  

That was just like categorically unacceptable for boys.  

So I was reduced to pretending to be totally absorbed in an issue of "Car and Driver" or "Sports Illustrated"!

YUCK!

Well that was grade school/junior high.  Things changed rapidly.  Fashion became very, Very, VERY important.  

By high school, MTV wasn't just a music video showcase, it was a living and breathing fashion magazine.  

Elsa Klensch was my hero as a fashion journalist that covered fashion designers and fashion shows across the country.  She taught me who the pioneers and designers were like Chanel, Donna Karen, Ralph Lauren, and Calvin Klein.  

I learned terms like 'haute couture', 'basic black', 'classic style', 'cut on the bias', 'hounds tooth', and 'paisley'.   

By college, I knew who all the supermodels were, what was happening in fashion and the  powerful influence of Madonna and Michael Jackson on what us ordinary people wore.  

Today, I am just short of clueless on what is considered the latest and greatest fashions.  I THINK skinny jeans, jeggings and burnout t's are the style of the day.  

I'd look silly in some of today's styles. But since I learned at an early age what 'classic style' is, I just wear the basic classics so I don't get laughed out of social situations.

I did my homework.  ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment