Sunday, October 30, 2011

ERR-E-A (Area) Rugs Revisited

Years ago when I first moved to Asheville and lived in a one room hovel, I invested in these matchy-matchy JCPenney area rugs.  I seriously live in a studio apartment.  ONE room living.

The huge rug defined my kitchen area.  The runner defined my hallway to the bathroom.  The tiniest defined my bedroom.

I had no idea then that I was doing exactly what area rugs are designed for . . . defining areas.  I thought the taupe carpet was ugly and boring and needed some color.  I was going for a Southwestern motif.  That's a whole 'nother drama/blog.

Anyhoo, some well meaning acquaintance told me later when I moved to another apartment, that rugs on rugs, (carpeted floors), was just silly. He was way gayer than me when it came to what's what.  So I deferred to his judgment and tossed the rugs and never reinvested.

Cut to 10 years later.  One guy I went out with had area rugs placed strategically in his hovel.  It looked great.  Plus he helped paint the ceiling of the downtown courthouse when they went through their renaissance.

His gay card totally trumped my other friends.

Then another interior designer balked when I told her about not having rugs on carpet.  She said rugs on carpet were absolutely acceptable and done all the time.  So armed with this new info and lots of HGTV, Ikea and free advice from an interior designer, I got to work:


Zebra stripes are dangerously tacky if not done just right.  An entire room with zebra stripes as a focal point to me is very nouveau riche.  But as a rug to add a splash of energy and interest to a bland hallway floor . . . ME LIKEY!  :-)


I read that a rug at about 4x6 by the bed added warmth and unity to a bedroom.  And with all the black and white already going on with the bed, I really wanted to go for that "POP" with red.   And CONTEMPORARY shag carpet as area rugs is so way cool.


This is a perfect square I found at Ikea.  It separates where I park my butt in front of the computer from the kitchen.  It's like a gateway rug.  I read that rugs and furniture can help guide folks where to go.

So if the kitchen sink throws people off, my handy dandy rug is here to assure them, "Yes!  That's the kitchen biotches!".


On my mad dash shopping spree last weekend, I found this little gem.  It's simple and understated yet cute enough to blend with my decor AND keep your paws clean.  It sits in my miniature foyer.

By the way, I learned a while ago that wearing your shoes indoors on carpeted floors is like a major no-no.  Apparently you track in major Major MAJOR quantities of nastiness by doing that.  I try to always take mine off in the foyer.


Another Ikea purchase.  Super cheap.  It's in front of my laundry room.    It's not the cherry red I  like.  But it's hidden behind a mini wall so it could be vomit green and you wouldn't remember it exists once you step inside the condo.

It serves it's purpose:  another place to wipe my filthy paws.


And finally, here's the leader of the pack.  Meet my big ass red shag rug for the living area.  I read the living area rug helps unify the seating arrangement and traffic.

It totally does.  It makes a world of difference and adds character, warmth, energy and completeness to the room.  I got it from Ikea so it's adorable AND affordable!

Bonus!

Next post I'll try to remember to discuss more storage solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment