Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

I never reply "WHAT?" when someone beckons my attention.
That's rude.
I reply, "Yes?"

That was one of a multitude of things my mom taught me.

I love you.  Thank you.  While all absolutely fine, it just doesn't pack the same personal punch as the specifics.


  • "Thanks for teaching me to keep a little bowl by the tub.  I can use it to rinse the tub after I bathe to prevent tub rings."

  • "Thanks for teaching me to rinse the dish cloths in fresh water so they won't get gross and sour overnight."
  • "Thanks for teaching me the best ice cream is Breyer's, the best candy bar is Snickers, and the best music is Motown."

  • "Thanks for teaching me to root for underdogs, see the beauty in small things, and always say 'thank you'."

I rattled off a multitude of things Mom taught me.  I could tell she absolutely appreciated it. In an age where experts, talk show hosts and even Time magazine love to point out what parents did and are doing wrong, it's music to a parent's ear to hear all the glorious things they did right.

Happy Mother's Day.







No comments:

Post a Comment