Monday, March 26, 2012

Josephine Baker

I'm not  a fan of planes.  I don't like the take off.  I don't like the turbulence.  I don't like being at the mercy of some random pilot I barely hear over some screaming child over the p.a.


Did he just say  . . . 


"You can get up when you see the light."


Or was it . . . 


"I give up. You can kiss your ass goodbye??"


BIG difference.


I had my headphones and put some finishing touches on a diva.  It helped to keep my mind off of . . . how does something this big actually stay in the air?


Inspiration?


I had a random and fleeting thought of Josephine Baker.  Her story is actually incredibly sensational and quite scandalous - even by today's standards.


And she was a lady of color - biracial actually.  Rumor is her father was White.  Her grandparents were former slaves.   


And Josephine's childhood was no picnic.  Holy moly!  She lived on the streets, ALONE,  before she was a teenager. 


She danced for food and money and was discovered by a vaudeville act.  Eventually, she went to France, and got super famous.  America - not so much.


So she stayed in France, lived  in  a huge castle, adopted 12 kids, and had a huge show in 1975 in America that drew the likes of Mick Jagger and Jackie Onassis.  It was sold out.  Four days later she was found dead of a cerebral hemorrhage lying peacefully in her bed  surrounded by rave reviews of her performance.


Wow!  


Talk about going out with a bang!  


I saw a snippet of her show on Youtube.  At age 68, Joesphine had it going on!  Skin tight outfit.  Sequins for days.  Elaborate getup.


Scandalous.  Sensational.  Talented.


In other words . . . 


. . . Josephine Baker was 100% diva.


How could I resist!

2 comments: