Monday, May 28, 2012

San Francisco and Other Urban Legends

San Francisco was an education in reality versus perception.


Perception: oodles upon oodles upon oodles of young, hot, fashionable gay male eye candy walking hand in hand with their boyfriend flashing million watt smiles.


Reality: I didn't see a lot of men walking hand in hand. In fact, what stood out to me was the number of straight couples, straight families, lesbians, and apparently a new phenomenon - very effeminate STRAIGHT men.


The very first thing that I noticed about San Franciso? - super duper chilly!!!


Oh my GAH!


I took heed from my hosts and research and erred on too many layers versus too few. That was hands down the smartest thing I did for my San Francisco trip!


Otherwise, I would have been miserable. It's not just chilly. By late afternoon it's flat out cold.


The guys were normal. I guess I was expecting these extremely crafted by da Vinci types as the norm. Like physical perfection en masse.


No.


The guys were normal - fashionable . . . But no supermodel norm.


I guess I figured it's California and they're all about beautiful bods, speedos, convertibles and oozing hotness 24-7.


Nope. They were all shapes and sizes. Though skinny gay younguns seemed to be everywhere.


Lots of Hispanics, Latinos and Asians. I liked that. Very melting pot vibe.


Lots of art. Lots of coffee shops. Lots of restaurants.


Oh my gah!


The restaurants.


Seriously. It's impossible to have a bad meal. And the food all tastes like it was fresh from the garden or farm a few hours ago.


It was like really tasting food for the first time. It's an other world experience. It's like your tastes buds have been sleepwalking all this time and then KAPOW!!!


Fireworks.


If for nothing else, visit for the restaurants.


Then there's the coffee.


Coffee snobs that diss Starbucks have always made me roll my eyes. Whatever. Starbucks always tastes better than or the same as the coffee houses I've been
to.


My host refused to drink Starbucks. He practically hissed when I asked. I rolled my eyes.


. . . Only to have them stop in mid roll after one gulp of the coffee from a coffee house on the same block as my hosts'. Oh my. I stand utterly corrected.


There's a robustness, a boldness, a kick, an organicness, an authenticness and a richness unlike any Starbucks brew I've ever had. I had three or four different coffees from three or four different coffeehouses. They all made Starbucks seem so . . . plastic.


Even the sweet potato fries at one diner were like a lesson in "how it's supposed to taste - 101".   Light but crispy - (they should have forbade ketchup!)


Speaking of food . . . I finally got my wings and salad delivered and devoured here in Chicago. So I'm off to bed.


Stay tuned. More about my San Francisco visit to come . . .






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment