Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Progress Report

On the plane ride back from Chicago, I had an epiphany about the latest illustration I've been working on.  She just wasn't translating as an illustration in reality as she did in my head.


Ugh!


My epiphany?


If it isn't broke, don't fix it.


When I got out of my own way and stopped trying so hard to will the illustration into being, the diva presented herself.   



Voila!  

I may still add a cat.  I'm not sure.  I'm actually leaning against the idea.

Sometimes an illustration can get too 'noisy'.  I don't want to have so much going on it loses its charm and becomes a mess.

At this point, if I add something, that means something has to go.  I'm going to polish up a few things in the next few days or so.  But for the most part, she's about done.

We'll see.  

What's important is I got the vibe I was looking for. I kept it loose.  I stopped worrying about proportions and logic and did full on whimsy . . . just like the first one that inspired her.

It's cool how sometimes the very best thing to do . . . 

 . . . is nothing at all.  

Be sure to check out my CafePress for Doodle Divas gifts and prints!  



No comments:

Post a Comment